One of the customs in Indian Culture and Traditions is the popular Floor Art “Kolam” . Kolams are the symbol of auspiciousness which bring people into festive mood . It was the first activity of the Heritage Club in which we imparted Kolam - Hands – on – Training to the Graders 3 to 9. The session started with a brain storming. Teachers posed the question s “Why was Kolam practiced in olden days and what were the reasons behind it ?” and got responses from all the students.
The discussion focused on the Hindu belief and the geometrical patterns and designs that have been applied with rice flour at the entrance of a home with the intention of inviting Goddess Lakshmi into the home and driving away the evil spirits. The students responded with more information about the method of drawing Kolam at the front yard of house after washing it with cow dung . The kolam is drawn with finely ground rice powder . The students came out with the reason for using rice flour was that they provide food for the ants and other small insects. Even when the women squat and draw kolams that posture made them exercise unknowingly that paved way for keeping good physical fitness. Eventually , when we analysed the scientific reasons , it was understood that in the early morning, they would get an opportunity of inhaling good oxygenized air .
Several types of kolams were introduced to the students right from easy to complicated ones. They practiced them in a paper . They were taken out for field practice with the Kolam powder. Students arranged the dots in a specific sequence and order and they managed to order the dots to make a pictorial design.
Outcome of the Learners :
- The session improved the concentration of the students for 40 minutes.
- Development of Students’ Fine motor skills had a good break through.
- The turns and twists of the design made the students puzzled.
- Boy s also gained a confidence that they would decorate their front yard in the early morning.
- Came to know the value of olden days’ traditions and customs.
- Understood the scientific reasons behind this activity .